Sunday, August 5, 2012

Karaoke, a Speak Easy, and Atary

There are some nights just made for greatness.... when you work so hard you know the universe will reward you with such a night eventually. On the coattails of a wonderful Wednesday in with Kish where we just totally mellowed out with music painting and she made an epic casserole. I bought some wine and I actually just immersed myself in the creative for several hours. Without doing something artistic I really feel like my soul dies till it's rejuvenated with acting/painting/music/dance. I worked Thursday but planned to go out afterwards with Flashdance at first people had bailed so it was going to be just girls but by the time I arrived there were some guys (score). They were leaving Brass Monkey...ya know that funky money..... the karaoke bar to head to a speak easy (score again). Legit there's an all black building you knock on a locked door a screen opens you say the code in this case "I smell burnt hair" and you're ushered in (score).




 It was awesome it's literally so dark you can barely see. To my slight disappointment there was no one waxing poetic on stage but instead a DJ and a chance to play old school Atary games (score) and if you beat your own low score you got a red velvet cupcake (double-score) a drink if you beat the high score...very hard to do. At one point I was sitting across from a guy, who i'll call Topher, silently singing 80's rock songs to each other (triple score). As the night progressed we pretty much spent the entire time talking and hanging out. I forgot what it was to just so instantly connect with someone where you can talk for hours and it seems like minutes. At one point a game of truth or dare started up when it came around to me feeling particularly cheeky I picked dare (no hesitation) it was to act super drunk and pretend to throw up in a group of people we weren't currently near by...after my performance one fellow actor deemed it "totally believable and Oscar worthy" (score7million). Amongst colleagues that was awesome even if it was just goofing around. Eventually we ended up back at Brass monkey with a bunch of drunk people. The first week I got here I heard about Koreatown karaoke and obviously since I possess a deep passion for karaoke I knew one day I would end up there. I asked Topher: "You don't ever sing karaoke" Him: "Lets' just say I'd be the perfect guy to date an actress" Me: "oh really?!!? why?" Him: I'm the perfect audience" several minutes after me insisting how much actors love to be the center of attention :) Flashdance put in for a song but wouldn't tell us what it is... just an ominous "you'll know it when you hear it." It was the backstreet boys lol and even the drunk girls came up and bombed our song. One was literally ON THE FLOOR thrusting and spreading her legs open fatal attraction style.... dude you are to old to being doing that...actually you shouldn't be doing that EVER lol however it was extremely amusing to me. It was a really awesome night and I was really happy driving home passing the LACMA light post exhibit on my way back to Weho sometimes I REALLY LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment