Monday, July 30, 2012

The Tale of How a Vegetarian Survived Korean BBQ

So for those of you who don't know Korean BBQ is like a menu of all meat items beef, pork, bellies I don't even know but like any animal part you can eat, and they bring it and you grill it on your table. So not only are you completely watching this cooking meet you are smelling it and passing it and all that. This is great for any meat lover. Seriously for 10 bucks you can just keep gettin your fill till you can't take anymore. For a vegetarian this is the equivalent of hell (I can assume you can guess why with out details).  The event was my dear dear friends baby shower and another coworker's birthday. If it was anyone else I would have been like helllllll noooooo but they are my LA family. I pressed "I don't think there will be anything I can actually eat there" just come they begged "it will be fun". I thought of eating beforehand but I worked till 7:30 and it started at 8.
Survival Tip One: Eat anything you can:  there was salad, rice, potato salad, onions, and they gave me a tofu soup even thought it was not on the $10 menu.
I almost started crying when we went there because there is NOTHING you can order that isn't meat. I was hungry and felt really alone (obviously) but I accepted it was my choice to come I knew the consequence. After affirming that I just tried to interact and not over think it.  It was nice to be at a big table with anyone just chillin no customers. I got a silent head nod from across the table from one of my favorite shoe guys. I LOVE that kind of silent communication no one else notices but just the two of you like a secret code... also pretty sure that's one of the joys people claim to starting affairs- the fun secrecy.
Survival Tip Two: Enjoy the experience, focus on the conversation, and the interactions with friends.
Really I enjoyed being with everyone that part was easy. I didn't have to watch the cooking aka blood, fat etc I just stared at their faces lol. What got to me the most was the smell to me meat smells like cooked flesh (which it is) but most people love that manly smell.
Survival Tip Three: Wear really pretty perfume so when the smell is overwhelming just smell your wrist (slyly but easy to manage) and escape in the temporary nostril filling scent of California Star Jasmine ( or whatever perfume you enjoy). I legit planed on bringing the perfume because the smell makes me nauseous . At the end she opened up her baby gifts and it was so beyond cute because she is so excited and I am so excited to meet Nathaniel. It's weird since we spend so much time together I feel like I already know him even though he hasn't actually been born yet but we talk about him and his personality in the womb lol he does exist just not in a way we can she but believe me she feels it all!
Survival Tip Four: Suck it up and deal. This is a universal statement sure I don't want to pay $18 bucks for eating garnishes but of course we paid for our two honorees etc..... that part sucked but they were so beyond happy it compensated for it completely. Both ladies had the biggest smiles and that made it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment