Thursday, March 29, 2012

The "Aspirationals"

         If you know me you know that I love meeting new people, studying them, and trying to figure out what makes them tick. One thing I have learned since entering the corporate retail world is the idea of the aspirationals. These "aspirational" people don't have "it" but they certainly aspire to. For instance if you can't afford $300 sunglasses you probably should not be shopping in a high end store (the logical assumption). However we will market to these people and they will come in and buy said sunglasses and the either A- not pay a bill/ buy necessary items or B- buy them wear them realize 300 is there car payment and return them a few days later. I see this EVERYDAY!!!! I think why??? why do you do this to yourself?!?!? I don't even go in stores right now because I know I can't afford it (logical reasoning) not to mention I develop strong emotional attachments to things like "I NEED that bag"- really I don't and neither do the "aspirationals." Then again don't I want to have those nice things, luxury handbags and high end fashion? Sure... but at what price when is too much- too much?
     I then expanded this thought to LA in general there are the people in this town (why do we call it the town... it is a CITY???) who have "made it" and of course everyone else who is trying. This whole town is full of "Aspirationals" literally everyone I meet is aspiring to something bigger then what they are. Not that it is a bad thing because it is what makes people strive and have goals. Of course I am an aspiring film actress and I aspire to be happy- aspiration is what makes us work for our future but I really don't think we need to aspire to shop at high end stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment