Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Oscars from an LA perspective

This photo does not do the moment justice!
Since as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be an actress. The movie Honey I Shrunk the Kids was one of my childhood favorites (non cartoon) and I wanted to be Amy badly.  I thought "I could do that one day" and spent many afternoons reenacting the film around my house. Since that moment 20 or so years ago I have wanted to be a film actress more then I have ever wanted anything in life. Any major step or decision was made with that goal in mind theater summer camps,performing arts high school, theater degree etc. I knew one day if I ever wanted to be a film actress I would have to move to LA. Well many steps later I arrived in Los Angeles on October 11th 2011. It's been a little over 5 months and I am still continually in awe that I am even here. Sure I have only been on one audition I need more head shots, a reel, and contacts but hey I am here so that is one step closer then I was a year ago! Then it was the night of the Oscars. I have watched the Academy Awards Show religiously for many years and I could feel the energy all around town and all the roadblocks as well adding time to go anywhere in Hollywood. I actually had to work at the store so I was going to be missing the majority of the show. A friend asked "what is it like being in LA for the Oscars?" I responded "Annoying and trafficey." After work I had to grocery store so not considering where I needed to go I went my normal route..... well when I reached Sunset I started to see all these cops and road blocks I immediately panicked. I heard stories of immigrations stops where they check everyone for licenses and Cali registration....I had neither... I didn't have $1,000 to pay the fine either. I felt an anxiety attack coming but there was no way out of the line....then up ahead I saw sky lights and the vanity fair party signs. I let out a deep sigh of relief there were about 15 news vans and a few random people going in (it was still early only 8). After my shopping I made it home in time to see the last 3 awards Best Actress, Actor, and Movie. Once the broadcast was over my roommate noticed all the sky lights outside our window. It was an enchanting light display in the night sky. It looked like 12 dancing faeries or something- I almost cried. I could feel the energy and the excitement of the Oscars it felt so close and yet so far. I text my friend and said I change my answer- The Oscars in LA are magical. ~S~

No comments:

Post a Comment