Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dirty Dancing in a Cemetery

Doing some dirty dancing with Johnny




So Jaffe and I had been planning a trip to visit the weekly movies that show at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (the weirdest graves I have ever seen EVER) for the whole summer but my work schedule totally was preventing it. Then when they released September 1st as Dirty Dancing I actually put in for the day off... this was an opportunity too awesome to miss. Knowing there was a strong chance it would be sold out we be bought the tickets and planned to get there earlier in case. We even secretly hoped it would be quite because everyone leaves LA for holiday weekends....it was PACKED! We still managed to get a good spot and we brought a picnic dinner. I love a good picnic. As the sun was setting we chatted, nibbled, and just relaxed. They projected old movie posters on the side of the mausoleum. Some groups brought whole set ups with mini tables and multiple dishes and card games- it was impressive. Everyone was pretty much squeezed in like sardines. We were behind 2 very annoying groups one which kept encroaching on our blankets and another that continually talked about their joints and spilling wine everywhere. However it was too precious to not love it overall.

      When they finally put up the DD poster everyone cheered. It was fun at all the main awesome shots or scenes people would clap, yell, etc like an opening night of a superhero movie. At one point everyone started waving their candles and cell phones it was hilarious. Of course the movie was great and My Swayze was so devilishly handsome. I love the music and costumes and of course the dancing. Half way through the movie a shooting star came right across overhead and fell right behind the projection. I was shocked because earlier I mentioned I was surprised you could see 7 stars in the sky that night....yes 7 I love stars so I counted. A shooting star in LA.... what are the chances.... I was shocked. I closed my eyes and made the most sincere wish. Of course I can't say it, but if you know me I bet you can take a good guess at what it might be. The whole thing was magical and I loved every second. Every time I see the film I think I want to dance the dance during the 'time of my life' at my wedding. It seems super silly like I would have to meet someone who would actually indulge me enough to learn it! It could start off with like an old traditional regency era dance then switch into the DD dance.... ok i'm getting a little ahead of myself but hey a girl can dream right? UPDATE: there are a ton of these on youtube but i liked this was best because they're so sincere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OF1pLRZU6k It was such a good way to spend an evening. Next time i'll bring more layers and booze everyone had something!




No comments:

Post a Comment