Monday, September 3, 2012

Dress the Fantasy

From the Magic Flute
I unsuspectingly came to work and walked into our hall with the white board saying "Dress the Fantasy" a couple random thoughts came to mind which I would not like to publish on the internet. 5 seconds later I forgot all about it until I was going up the escalator and I saw these 2 random elaborate costumes. From behind I thought they were something of Lady Gaga's because we were launching her new fragrance Fame in a few days (btw it's pretty decent and is the first perfume to actually spray on black before seeping into the skin). When I got to the top I actually saw that they were LA Opera costumes!  Each amazingly detailed work of art had a picture of the actor in the costume and the dates/title of the production. This is the stuff of my dreams... costuming is probably like my 2nd or 3rd biggest passion after acting (obviously) and my Irish heritage but it might be stronger then being Irish.. like I said 2 or 3. At first I was just in awe of the 2 amazing dresses at the top of the escalator but as I turned the corner to clock in at my sunglass bay I saw these beauties:


 They are phenomenal the detailing on the two dresses was breathtaking. The black dress has such a classic neckline and the beading is so elaborate! The white dress oozes sensuality and the draping creates this fantastic elongated form. I was in heaven then I noticed the jewels... a tiara, 20's style hat with a feather, rings etc more bling then any girl could dream of. In a whole other world of brocade heaven was this:


I had fantasies about fabric like this when I was making my dress for the Regency Ball in England but such a thing is hard to come by these days. I spent a good half hour not working and just soaking in the details. Why were these amazing costumes in a department store you may be thinking? We were having an LA Opera charity event at the store later that night. About 20 minutes after I forced myself to walk away another employee spilt an entire GALLON of hot pink paint right in front of the dresses....if the glass wasn't there they would of gotten splattered! Literally there was pink paint all over the glass and they had to get a wet vac to get all the paint off the rug. Can you imagine priceless dresses with pink paint all over them by accident...luckily they were safe. That night I was talking to some of the people who came for the event. I saw this one older man who was there super early with a to die for camera. I asked "Are you a big fan of the opera?" her replied "Yes I love it. I am the official photographer actually. I took most of the pictures on the costumes signs." I was in awe. Not only is he a working photographer he had one of the coolest subjects ever. I didn't get an opportunity to talk to anyone else that night because I was working but just being near the costumes excited me. It's been almost a week and a half now and everyday I look at them noticing more and more details. I think about the work that went into making them and more often I ponder what would it would be like to wear them on stage. I think it's important to really see the beautiful things that are around us when we actually take the time to look.... because beauty is everywhere. 


No comments:

Post a Comment