Saturday, April 21, 2012

Giving Them What They Want VS What You Want to Give Them

So one of the few perks of my job is seeing people do what they do best...be people. I once had a conversation with a good friend about gift giving. Usually there is a disconnect in what you want to give the person vs what they actually want. He brought this concept up to me after one Christmas and I never really saw it's power until now. For instance I see this at least once a week in watches. A man comes in to buy a watch he says "I want her to have this one but I know she'd like this better.....I'll go with the first one" It never fails they almost always pick the one they want to give even when they know it's not the one the recipient will prefer!!!! It's crazy lol A man literally said to me "She likes plain simple things never wears any bling but I want to give her a bling watch because she deserves something pretty."Although that was a cute sentiment it's just going to upset the receiver because now she feels obliged to love it. Except when the L(lover) factor comes into play.This is how the L factor enters into the equation: They will like the item more because they really like the person who gave it to them. Now I have heard this as well "it's not really my style but my boyfriend picked it out and it was so thoughtful so I love it can you size it for me?" Bam you have now reversed the whole situation. You have turned an item they don't actually prefer into something they cherish damn you played your cards and it worked out well.... or "My boyfriend got me this watch it's totally not my style we broke up he just really doesn't understand me can I exchange this for one I actually like?" (true quote) and that folks is the risk you take. I hope you can learn something from these real life scenarios...next time you are buying a gift for someone you care about really think about what the result of your gift will be-not just the gift itself- if your girl prefers leather to diamonds maybe it's best if you just go with something you'll know she likes. It will save her from faking her happiness and me from dealing with the return :) follow my advice and you will be a champion gift giver. Don't forget it's always nice to get or give a gift just because :) ~S~

No comments:

Post a Comment