Thursday, April 12, 2012

How to End a Bad Habit

Which path do you choose?
So depending on when I am scheduled I inevitably ending up taking my lunch break during either the Ellen Degenerous Show, The Windy Williams Show(how you doooinn), or Anderson Cooper. This also usually runs into TMV Live and the People's Court..... not my choice but it's the breakroom's standard. Today is was Anderson, and the topic bad habits. Immediately when one mentions bad habits you suddenly think about all of your own. I think my worst habit is laziness, followed by the common girl problem of emotional eating, and of course as mentioned in an earlier blog drunk texting. Charles Duhigg explains the 4 step process to changing any bad habit:
  1. Identify the routine- what is the habit you are doing?
  2. Identify the reward- what do you get from completing the routine behavior?
  3. Isolate the cue- what is triggering your behavior?
  4. Have a Plan- “The next time I see the cue, I’m going to do ‘x’ and my reward is going to be ‘y.’”
Lets take emotional eating something girls do ALL THE TIME!!
  1. I think I have worked so hard I deserve to eat this pain au chocolate as a reward for my efforts and dedication
  2. I get a sense of satisfaction a treat for doing a good job
  3. Feeling like I do so much that it not appreciated
  4. Next time when I am at work and feel that way I will instead take a break at the scenic overlook of LA/the hills and remember how much I accomplished by coming here!
Good plan! right?!?!? When it's broken down to those simple steps ANYTHING becomes possible. It even works for mental behaviors which apparently is all explained in Mr Duhigg(what an amazing last name)'s book The Power of Habit if you would like to see the interview and tips you can watch it at http://www.andersoncooper.com/2012/04/10/dr-charles-duhigg-tips-on-how-to-break-a-bad-habit/
There are some other things I am currently working on "breaking" considering I need to be a complete open book to act it's all a part of giving it 100% plan a step closer each day~S~

No comments:

Post a Comment