Saturday, April 14, 2012

Memory Revival

The other day I had this curious thought... it came about from another random thought about this movie Final Cut Robin Williams is in where everyone's memories are recorded but in one scene a person who is still living watches a clip of someone whose dead and they remember the exact moment in time completely differently. So I wonder if I could see how other people remember moments that influenced me so strongly if we would see the same thing. I really think I see the world in away most people don't from a perspective most people don't understand. It's primarily a feeling based memory if I do anything that holds a memory I automatically think of the last time I had a memory with that thing. For instance it happens with clothing I put on a dress and automatically think "the last time I wore this dress I was doing X". The same things happens with restaurants "the last time I ate here I was with X" and so for and so on really any tangible thing I could have any attachment to. It's like my brain is programmed to revert to memories and not just put on the dress and go without a thought. If your reading my blog you know I have been working on putting the past behind and moving towards the future as well as breaking bad habits. I think this memory revival brain pattern is just like a habit one that I get some kind of reward from so therefore I repeat the behavior subconsciously. I haven't figured it out completely yet like I said it was a random idea from a random thought mostly brought on by this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIEwhtUNTck
Dingle 2009

Dingle 2003
I actually became familiar with the photographer Irina Werning's work when I first moved to LA. Me, being the sentimentalist I am, LOVED the idea of recreating a photo from your childhood. I tried to do this when I was in Ireland the last time after a few minutes my Mom got frustrated with me she said "Shannon you can't recreate the past, just take a new favorite picture." I was mad in the moment but she was right. I think now I wasted 10 minutes of time trying to recreate something when I should have been enjoying 10 minutes of new memories since those were some of our last days together. Does it do us any good if someone remembers something differently or is better to just relish in our own memory the way we believe it to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment