Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pleased by Postcards

Today I received an unexpected postcard from Craig, a friend traveling all over the East, and I was ecstatic. This one came on the coattails of a postcard I received last week from Indonesia... which arrived 2 weeks after my coworker had come back :) I remember asking my mom once on our yearly trip to Hampton Beach why we didn't send our friends postcards (isn't that what you do on vacation??). She told me by the time we we sent them we would already be home- logical yes but I thought "I love getting postcards so I want to send them!" The art of writing postcards is much like writing love letter- mostly lost. For most people years of getting bills in the mail has pretty much trumped the excitement of getting anything fun via post. However not for me I still love it. Ever since I was kid one of my favorite parts of Christmas was hanging all the cards up around our door posts it looked like a little collection of love from everyone we knew. Over the years I have had the immense fortune to have traveled to many exciting places and in turn have met exciting people who also travel to exciting places. I've learned the best way to get something you want is ask even if seems silly. So I began asking will you send me a postcard? If you were to ever see my face when I get them you'd know it would be worth the trouble sending it. I'm like a little kidding opening up a birthday gift- full of excitement and wonder. Of course I love the message and the picture but I also like the stamps and postage marks making each one unique and special. I have been blessed to have been sent some really amazing ones from all over the world including Iceland, Philippines, Korea, Vinius:Lithuania, Marburg: Germany, Bath& Dunster &Whitby:England, Hollywood:USA (from Conor before I ever moved here), Disneyland:USA, Barcelona: Spain and now added Indonesia and Thailand. A whopping gorgeous 15 postcards not to mention 2 more vintage postcards of Monaco and Paris I picked up in a flea market in Nice with actual messages on them!!! When I was in Liverpool they had a display of postcards John Lennon sent his son in this double sided glass so you could see both sides- since then I've always envisioned an interchangeable coffee table or wall divider made up of these treasured postcards. I'm not sure why they still fascinate me I wonder the same about letters??? Maybe it's the nostalgic aspects of them or the idea that you know someone is thinking of you for even 5 minutes of their day. I'm not sure but all I know is if your traveling I would LOVE to get a postcard from you!!! ~S~

No comments:

Post a Comment