Sunday, May 6, 2012

Your Spirit Animal

There was this one day in 4th grade when we had Native Americans come into our class and do a presentation about their culture and traditions.The man said "I love the sound of the rain I would rather listen to falling rain then music any day." I was shocked I thought 'I love the sound of rain too' and no adult had ever said something like that to me before. At one point we all went around the circle and picked an Indian name. When it came to me for whatever reason I was stuck he suggested "Sea Otter" which I joyfully agreed to. Between my new name and the rain comment I was enamored with what they were saying. From that day on the Sea Otter always kind of stuck with me. While other kids picked lions or elephants when it came to projects I picked the Sea Otter -River Otters didn't appeal to me half as much. In 6th grade we had one such project on the classification of any animal. I learned that sea otters are one of the only creatures that can eat sea urchins they get one from the ocean bottom then resurface lie on their backs and use a rock to hammer open the urchin = genius. I also love the way they play. They twist, turn, chase, flip and I spent many a summer imitating them when no one was looking in my pool. One site describes the otter spirit animal as "strong family bonds, adaptability, maternal instincts, playfulness, and being good natured. Otters are monogamous creatures who mate for life. although it is the female who raises the offspring almost completely alone. Otters frolic in the water and play, but they are also skillful hunters." I started thinking about my love for otters after watching this video the other day

How precious is that? First off these are River Otters but they are still amazing- look how the play and interact with the baby- they are sooooo smart! At a zoo once I connected with this spider monkey and when I put my hand up to the glass it did too matching right up with mine- it was insane! Kristen Bell recently shared her experience when her boyfriend brought a sloth to their house for her birthday and she really flips if you haven't checked it out it's worth a watch http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2012/01/kristen_bells_sloth_meltdown_0131.php I feel like I would react the exact the same way if for some reason I could interact with a sea otter. Swimming with dolphins was the closest I've got and it's such a surreal experience when your just so close to these amazing animals. 

So want to find out what animal you most embody the spirit of??? Take this test: http://www.jerismithready.com/quiz/ I got swan which looking at the description I think is pretty much me

You are a Swan! (your score: 28)

28
Characters: Tereus, Kalia in the Aspect of Crow trilogy
Powers: Foretelling future through dreams, dream-walking
Swans are idealistic, open-minded, and passionate. Your good nature often leads people to think they can take advantage of you, but they should be careful—beneath that serenity lies a fighting spirit. Your love is fierce and unconditional, fueled by the certainty that it should last forever.
Best matches: Wolves, Horses, Otters
Watch out for: Cougars, Foxes, Hawks

Have you ever had an interaction with an animal that just blew your mind???



No comments:

Post a Comment